Like many people, you may have occasional headaches and migraines. The causes can be various, fatigue, stress, negative emotions or linked to external factors (noise, odors, etc.). What if it happens to make you feel better faster and that headache doesn’t ruin your day? The medical team will give you advice to help relieve your headache.
How to relieve a headache quickly?
Usually, if you want a moderate headache, you can take medication to reduce the pain. Doctors rather recommend the use of paracetamol , an analgesic sold without a prescription (in the absence of contraindication).
- If you have recurring headaches and want to relieve them, you should be careful not to overuse painkillers. On the contrary, they can cause persistent or permanent headaches , and in this case a consultation is required.
- To relieve a severe headache, it is possible to take non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen or ketoprofen, but they are not recommended in all cases. There are certain contraindications and it is preferable to seek the advice of a doctor beforehand to take this type of medication.
- Whatever medicine you are taking, you should be careful to stick to the dosage and not exceed the maximum recommended doses per day. If self-medication is not sufficient, medical consultation should be considered.
Important: if you suspect Covid-19 and headaches, or if you are a confirmed case, you should especially not take NSAIDs to relieve yourself. They could cause a significant deterioration in your health.
How to treat headaches naturally?
Medication is not the only possible treatment for a headache. You can also relieve your headache without medication. On the other hand, it is also necessary to take into account the nature of the headache (tension headache, migraine…) to know which treatment to take. Here are our tips for relieving a headache naturally:
- relax or lie down in a quiet place;
- do relaxation exercises;
- drink water as dehydration makes the headache worse;
- massage your temples in case of migraine;
- drink coffee in case of migraine (vasoconstrictor effect);
- place a compress soaked in cold water on the head;
- inhalations with essential oils also help relieve headaches (on favorable medical advice).
Calm persistent headaches
If you have persistent or permanent headaches on one side of your head or diffuse it may be due to an environmental or internal cause. We recommend that you talk to a doctor to try to find the reason for these headaches in order to avoid the triggers in the future. Not getting enough sleep, stress, noisy environments, drinking alcohol, and even certain foods can all cause your headaches. Either way, a doctor can prescribe appropriate treatment to avoid overuse of painkillers that can make your headaches worse. Read more about to relieve headaches by following the link: https://healthcaresols.com/how-to-get-rid-of-a-headache/
Relieve a pregnant headache
The natural treatment of headache when you are pregnant is no different. On the other hand, if you need to relieve headaches during pregnancy, you should absolutely avoid self-medication, especially NSAIDs (ibuprofen, ketoprofen).
However, paracetamol remains safe in the absence of contraindications, if you follow the dosage and the recommendations of your doctor. If these solutions do not work to relieve your headache during pregnancy, you should see a doctor to recommend an appropriate treatment.
How to treat different headaches?
If you have an occasional headache caused by your emotions, prolonged fatigue or tension, or external factors, you can follow our advice above. For example, if you need headache relief after crying too much, a little rest and a full glass of water will help you get better. However, for some headaches, the management is different.
How to get over a big migraine?
If you have a migraine, you can also take pain relievers , but without overdoing them.
In case of migraine with aura (warning symptoms like vision problems or dizziness ), you should immediately calm down, if possible in a dark and quiet room, before the pain gets worse.
There are specific treatments to relieve this type of headache, such as ophthalmic migraine, of the triptan family. They do not cause persistent headaches, unlike pain relievers. Talk to a doctor to find out if these treatments are right for you and to get a prescription, if so.
Relieve a headache during sinusitis
If you have a headache from sinusitis, the best way to get over it is to get your sinusitis treated quickly. You have to:
- blow your nose regularly;
- do regular nose washes;
- take your antibiotic treatment if the sinusitis is bacterial;
- take analgesics to relieve pain (if there are no contraindications);
- avoid tobacco smoke;
- drink herbal teas and tea to thin and evacuate mucus;
- make fumigations with essential oils (in the absence of cons-indications).
Relieve a so-called “tension” headache
The tension headache is treated like a classic headache. So you can follow our recommendations to relieve a headache quickly. If you have no contraindications, you can take paracetamol or ibuprofen. On the other hand, taking a hot bath can also help relieve your headache.
Relieve a headache of cervical origin
Headaches with pain in the neck or neck are considered tension headaches or cervicogenic headaches. They are often triggered by poor sitting posture , or looking at your phone or computer. It can therefore be common to have this kind of headache in the evening.
Good to know : osteopathy has shown positive effects in relieving these type of headaches because it relaxes muscles and tensions in the neck and shoulders.
Frequently Asked Questions
When to worry about a headache?
In the vast majority of cases, headaches are quite mild and do not hide other problems. On the other hand, if you have upper head pain in the morning , it may be hypertension. This problem requires medical follow-up. To relieve headaches associated with hypertension, you should therefore consult your doctor. Likewise if your headaches are accompanied by vomiting, it is recommended to consult quickly.
How to quickly find an appointment with the doctor?
Currently, the easiest way to get an appointment quickly with the doctor is to go through teleconsultation. Make your appointment or consult your best doctor clicking here to relieve headaches related to hypertension.