What is area code 844?
Whenever a new area code gets shown up on a phone, it becomes a worrying and shocking situation for an individual. And he gets confused whether it is an important call that he should either answer or not? The main reason behind this confusion is that nowadays most scammers are very alert with such area codes.
However, the 844 area code is considered a unique one. It came operational in service in December 2013. This code is a toll-free number in the United States along with other 7 codes numbered
Most of them are for the whole of North America however, a few are reserved for specific regions and areas.
Area code 844 location
It is primarily located in 20 North American countries that include the United States and its territories like Canada, and some other Caribbean countries. It is basically an integrated telephone numbering system where numbering resources are shared among participating countries
Moreover, this code can be accessed from any location in the entire country. However, using area code 844 will not give any clue about the person who is calling you or from where the call is been dialed. That call can be made randomly anywhere from New York, Lou’s Angeles, Chicago, or Houston.
The places where this code can be accessed in the North American Numbering plan includes the following 25 North American countries
- United States of America
- The British Virgin Islands
- Cayman Islands
- Dominican Republic
- North Mariana Islands
- Puerto Rico
- Saint Kitts
- Saint Lucia
- Saint Vincent
- Sint Maarten
- Carrico’s Islands
- United States Virgin Islands and many more
This shows that this area code is widely used across North America so it does not allow people to determine where the call is coming from. That is why many people are curious about where the 844 area code comes from.
Area code 844 history
With toll-free numbers especially 844, the charges are paid for by the party who is called instead of the caller. In addition to that, although the calls through these area codes are not assigned to a specified geographical area or time zone, yet they can be may be restricted by the customer.
The same is the case for other area codes which include 800, 833, 855, 866, 877, and 888. These codes have always been helpful in the sense that they enable clients to call any business customer-care center for free.
What are the toll-free area codes?
This 3-digits figure represents a specific business providing telephonic services all over the country. These are always in the form of prefixed code before a number which means that they are used at the start of any number all the time. A few areas use only a single area code while some areas may use more than one.
However, each state has its unique code like for the United States 844 area code is designated. It majorly depends on the population of a country as it becomes easier to get more toll-free numbers by using many different toll-free area codes.
Benefits of toll-free numbers
Some of the benefits attained from using toll-free numbers having specified area codes are summarized below:
- Telephone numbers with distinct three-digit codes can be dialed from landlines without any charges to the person dialing the call
- These kinds of numbers help and allow callers to reach businesses and individuals out of an area without being charged a long-distance fee for the call
- 844 area code is particularly common for customer service calling
- It is a convenient way to contact businesses all around the globe
- Unless there is an ‘ultimate calling’ plan, wireless callers will also not be charged for the airtime minutes used during a toll-free call
- Respectable customers can be also sent text messages as an advertisement from toll-free numbers as “text-enabled”
- Unknown people can easily reply using specific area codes in response to ads text
- As toll-free numbers usually begin with one of the following three-digit codes 800, 888, 877, 866, 855, 844, or 833, so they can easily be recognized
- Another advantage is that these codes are not interchangeable
- Each of the calls to a toll-free number is routed through a particular local telephone number
- Anonymous calls can be dialed by a number using a 1-888 prefix that helps to reach different recipients
What is the difference between area code 844 and other toll-free codes?
As mentioned above, there are 7 different toll-free numbers in the United States. Out of them, a few are reserved for specific regions like
- 800-534 – Barbados
- 800-623 – Bermuda
- 800-415 – Dominican Republic
- 800-751 – Dominican Republic
- 800-907 – Dominican Republic
- 800-271 – Trinidad
- 800-855 – Deaf or hearing impaired
- 800-389 Bahamas
Area code 844 covers a major region in the U.S under the NANP. The cost for using the number is paid by the toll-free subscriber. Therefore, these numbers are very helpful for business entities and organizations.
Can 844 number attract customers?
Just like 800, 844 is a toll-free area code. Rather than the caller, a prefix of 8 represents calls that are paid by the recipient. 800 number series are most commonly utilized to advertise own business through phone calls and text messages.
The majority of businesses and corporations in Canada, the United States, and neighboring countries can make use of toll-free numbers which is why they are high in demand by large multinational companies, call centers, and many more.
Source of virtual communications
Almost all toll-free numbers ensure you to be always accessible to callers irrespective of time zones. Especially the 844 area code provides a convenient way for virtual communication between businesses and the respective customer.
Thus, these numbers place your company alongside a much larger enterprise due to advertisement and exposure all over the global market. That is why calls made to these numbers charge the receiver instead of the caller, making it free for potential consumers to connect with you.
How are too many free numbers assigned versatile area codes?
When an organization wants to advertise its business or trading activities in the market, it goes to FCC. Then the FCC assigns most toll-free numbers on the first-come, first-served basis.
Stepwise Procedure to get registration on 844 area code is
- Soon after FCC assigns any number to an entity, toll-free subscribers choose entities called responsible organizations
- To reserve numbers on their behalf, the entity hires some employees to manage and administer the appropriate records for all free subscribers
- Then the businesses choose a provider and check its availability. They access many different options while checking
- After detailed checking, they purchase the number assigned to you through respectable authorities
- The responsible organization then gets access to a toll-free database that contains information regarding the status of customers
- Systematic software is most commonly used for this purpose to administer all the business activities
- After some time, FCC makes certain numbers available in the auction. 844 auction is an experiment to determine how to use bidding to most effective assigning of a toll-free number.
Tips for choosing a single number from a wide range
Different tactics are there that should be applied while choosing a number from many available options. These are
- An entity should use either a name or a specific term like 844-flowers or 844-rent a car service provider
- Businesses should avoid odd or unique spells with area code 844
- The code should be easier to remember as some sort of rhyming words or words of easy spelling.
Can the 844 area code be purchased via bidding?
Yes, any person or entity interested in buying or subscribing to a second phone number for life can easily access it from over 300 area codes present all over the United State of America and Canada. Also, other offers associated with it are
- 1000 minutes talk time
- Over 6000 SMS messages annually
- Approximately 3000 multimedia messages and many more
All of these can be availed for only $25.
Where can the toll-free number be utilized?
844 and other toll-free numbers can be availed over
c) Costa Rica
d) Haiti, Mexico
e) U.S Virgin Islands
f) Saint marry
g) Saint Lucia
i) Dominican Republic and many more
How to be alert from scams using remote area code 844 location?
When a service is used by several people, scammers and hackers usually come into the field to play their shots right at the time. Therefore, the call receivers should be alert as a lot of people will legitimately think the call is from any business’ customer service team. and easily get trapped in a scam.
That is why most defrauders use the trust of businesses to claim they are from some authentic companies, law practices, banks retail stores, or technical support teams. Therefore, one must always check the claiming person’s reference company or organization’s name and existence instead of trusting randomly.
If someone can’t find the number, company, or official website, the recipient should hang up the call and block the number immediately.
Are all calls from the 844 area code toll-free?
Call starting or having a prefix 844 is normally toll-free in the United States of America (USA). These are utilized by companies who want to provide customer service lines free of charge. Local, as well as foreign customers, get attracted through such advertisements easily.
Although there may be some sort of subscription charges on some ultimate plans and packages, almost all other wireless callers dialing calls are toll-free.
Timing zones covered by the 844 area code
Due to North America’s geographic range, the 844 code number comes under a bunch of different time zones. From east to west, different timings are followed by different countries in the following manner
- Newfoundland time
- Atlantic time
- Eastern time
- Central time
- Mountain time
- Pacific time
- Alaska time
- Hawaii time
- Samoa time
- Chamorro time
Moreover, from March to November, a few of these time zones follow daylight savings. Out of the mentioned list, Hawaii, Arizona, and American Samoa do not observe daylight time. So, calls of area code 844 locations differ all over the world.
Toll-free number exchanges
After knowing the purpose and use of these toll-free numbers, the next thing discussed should be that where and when were/are these exchanges positioned and how to access them and for what aim were these lines invented? The answer to these questions is that they are meant
- To call a freephone from abroad
- To satisfy the market conditions, 888 numbers were created in 1996.
- 877 and 866 numbers became available in 1998 and 1999.
- 855 debuted in 2010.
- At last, 844 area code came into existence
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about 844 Area Code
Some of the queries and related answers about area code 844 are as follows:
Q: Can someone use 844 area code overlay?
Ans: Normally there is a numbering plan area (NPA) through which you can change your existing phone number or area code from your present location. It helps subscribers if their area code gets spilled or hacked by a cheater.
Q: Can I send a text message to 844?
Ans: If the area code has registered the toll-free number as ‘text enable’, then the user can send out bulk texts. However, he/she should make ensure that message must have received the same person to whom it was intended to send.
Q: How to block unwanted 844 area code calls?
Ans: For android users, it is quite simple, just click the received number details and there appears the option to “block number”. Simply tap that option to avoid any further inconvenience
For iPhone users, scroll to the bottom options of the number and click the “block this caller” option to restrict the other end-user to get back to you again
All toll-free numbers are so popular throughout the telecommunication industry that they had reached beyond 800 numbers. All mentioned phone numbers allow a user to call off charges, putting the price of a call on the business rather than the customer.
Although the 844 Area code doesn’t seem toll-free to some users, it is actually a verified and controlled number by the major regulating authorities in the USA and Canada.