Coconut oil has a number of scientifically proven benefits. Saturated fats, which are included in the human diet, make up about 90% of the total composition. information taken from research by Dr. Mercola.
Health Benefits of Coconut Oil
The use of coconut in food has beneficial effects on health. Thanks to its saturated fat:
- Supports the function of the thyroid gland – reduces inflammation, which means it prevents the occurrence of hypothyroidism, these are difficulties with concentration and complaints of weakened memory and hyperthyroidism – nervousness, excessive irritability.
- Strengthens cardiovascular activity – consumption of coconut oil lowers cholesterol levels, improves the state of lipoproteins (HDL, LDL).
- Supports brain activity – ketones, organic substances in coconut oil relieve symptoms of brain disease in Alzheimer’s patients.
- Strengthens the immune system – saturated fatty acids: lauric, capric and caprylic in combination with lipids that counteract microbes, reward the oil with antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal properties. Regular consumption of coconut oil can prevent colds, flu, herpes, and even hepatitis C and the Epstein-Barr virus. If you add coconut oil to tea, coffee or cocktails, the headache will go away, the runny nose and sore throat will stop.
- Generating and increasing energy potential – nutrients, namely medium and long chain fatty acids, are instantly absorbed by the liver and converted to provide a long-term effect of increasing physical and mental performance. Coconut oil is an alternative to caffeine-based energy drinks and stimulants.
- Speeds up metabolism.
- Eliminates excess weight – thanks to coconut oil, the metabolism is accelerated, which means it becomes easy for the body to lose excess volumes. Saturated fat stabilizes blood sugar levels and prevents unhealthy weight gain.
- Normalizes digestive processes – saturated fats are easily absorbed into the digestive tract and relieve constipation, heartburn, and reduce acidity.
- You can find recipes for dishes with coconut oil in our article.
- Regulates Crohn’s Disease – The fatty acids in coconut oil act on intestinal bacteria and alleviate the course and symptoms of Crohn’s disease.
- Has antiallergenic effect – neutralization of allergic effects from eating soy and peanut, fermented milk products.
- Provides the effect of skin rejuvenation – applying coconut oil externally smoothes wrinkles, the skin gains elasticity, stretch marks are reduced and age spots are removed. Softens rough skin and prevents cracking.
- Prevents burns and protects from the sun’s UV radiation – a nourishing effect for the skin after sunburn.
- Provides hair care. Strengthens hair, prevents dandruff, prevents splitting hair ends.
- Improves oral health: removes plaque and prevents tooth decay.
Medium Chain Triglycerides – The basis of coconut oil
Coconut oil is a carrier of saturated fatty acids that are not synthesized by the body. The body gets it by eating food. The ideal way is to cook food in coconut oil. The triglycerides that “build” coconut oil are not deposited in the folds of fat, but gives the body energy and increases vital functions
Saturated fatty acids are classified as medium chain fats (MCTs). The chemical structure of the elements depends on the length of the carbon. Coconut oil contains 9 beneficial fatty acids:
- Lauric or dodecanoic medium chain fatty acid (MCT), chemical formula C12H24O2 – 12 carbon atoms (C12), percentage from 45 to 56%, its action is protection against viruses, fungus, antimicrobial and antibacterial function. It has been scientifically proven that the presence of lauric acid protects against blood-sucking insects: ticks, mosquitoes and others (research by the US Department of Agriculture ARS USDA).
- Myristic or tetradecanoic acid С14Н28О2 , the content in the oil is 16-21 %. Saturated fatty acid, (C14), its function is to participate in the creation of biofilms in the human body and increase the immune defense. As part of coconut oil, it is responsible for the cooling effect and healing of damaged skin areas.
- Capric or decanoic acid, С10Н20О2 – 10 carbon atoms (С10), content 5 – 7% – is responsible for enhancing immunity, protects against parasites, for example, lice, ticks, fleas. As part of the oil, it acts as an emulsifying additive for cosmetic purposes. The acid is responsible for lowering cholesterol (LDL).
- Caprylic acid, С8Н16О2 – 8 carbon atoms (C8), content 8 – 13% – is responsible for oxygenation of the skin, rejuvenation, has an antiparasitic effect, protects against bacterial infections. The acid promotes the growth of muscle mass and has a healing effect. When consumed with coconut oil, caprylic acid increases brain activity and helps with Alzheimer’s disease.
- Saturated palmitic acid, С16Н32О2 – in the composition of coconut oil occupies 6 – 9%. An active ingredient for cosmetological action. Essential for the care of mature skin, in the composition of coconut oil it is responsible for oxidative protection from external environmental pollution. Regulates cellular communication in the body. Palmitic acid – the main store of energy, protects the skin and participates in all processes in the body.
- Oleic acid, С18Н34О2 – monounsaturated acid, omega-9, the oil contains 4 – 7%, provides a protective hypotensive effect for cardiovascular activity, lowers the level of bad cholesterol, affects the ratio of bad HDL to good LDL cholesterol. Slows down inflammatory processes in the body.
- Stearic or n-octadecanoic saturated long-chain acid, С18Н36О2 – the percentage in the oil is 2 – 3%. Helps to cope with the problems of dry and sensitive skin, moisturizes and increases the hydrolipidic state of the skin, protects against external influences.
- Unsaturated linoleic acid, omega-6 fatty acids, С18Н32О2 – the content in the oil is 1.5% – due to the fact that it is a part of ceramides (lipids, the main elements of the structure of the skin and hair), it helps to strengthen and improve hair. It has an anti-inflammatory effect, promotes the treatment of atopic dermatitis, psoriasis, acne and other skin diseases. Controls the synthesis of melanin, which protects against solar UV radiation, cold and environmental toxins.
- Caproic or hexane short-chain saturated fatty acid, С6Н12О2 – 6 carbon atoms (C6), an active element with antiparasitic action. Neutralizes microorganisms, bacteria that cause unpleasant odors. Caproic acid triglyceride with increased lipid barrier is responsible for enhancing skin protection and controlling perspiration.
Key Properties for the Clinical Uses of Coconut Oil
The medicinal uses of coconut oil are due to the combination of C8 and C10, caprylic and capric fatty acids, which are effective in raising ketone levels.
A similar combination of organic substances:
- reduces appetite and helps to reduce weight;
- improves cognitive and neurological function;
- provides stimulation of human capabilities to enhance athletic performance;
- activates mitochondria and prevents the risk of atherosclerosis, diabetes, cancer, diseases of the cardiovascular system, improves immunity;
- used as an element of dietary therapy for the treatment of epilepsy;
- prevents the development of fatty liver disease, except for alcohol intoxication.
- Coconut oil, which is used for treatment, promotes the penetration of ketones into the body, which activates the brain, which is much more effective than the action of glucose. Ketones suppress hunger by stimulating CCK, the satiety hormone.
- Coconut oil has all of the above capabilities to actively use MCTs (medium chain fats), and lauric acid with the longest C12 chain has antimicrobial and antiviral properties.
Coconut Oil’s Best Benefits – Cooking
Coconut oil, which is essentially a concentrated MCT, should be eaten daily.
Attention, this is important. You need to start with small portions. Reception of very large doses without adaptation of the body leads to disorders in the gastrointestinal tract and diarrhea.
You need to start with one teaspoon.
You can eat it at the same time as other foods containing fats, such as nuts.
You can start by making coffee or salad dressing.
The gradual habituation will help the body to rebuild.
Coconut oil helps the digestive tract of people with bowel disease, gallbladder removed, and Crohn’s disease.
There are two types of coconut oil and one of them, unrefined, is beneficial.
But there is also hydrogenated coconut oil, which is not desirable for your health.
It is the second option that is not desirable for cooking, since at temperatures above 100 ° C, the oxidative process starts. Therefore, you need to be careful about what you buy and look at the label on the can with the product.
Healthy, organic, unrefined, cold-pressed coconut oil, which is an environmentally friendly and natural product.
Coffee with coconut oil – drink, get full and lose weight
Add some coconut oil to your coffee and you have a drink that boosts brain activity.
- For a 340 mg serving of coffee in one cup using filtered water, you will need 2 tablespoons of freshly ground coffee beans, preferably 100% Arabica (according to the American recipe).
- Add 1 teaspoon to 2 tablespoons of organic coconut oil, depending on taste.
- Add 1 tablespoon of HCI butter or organic ghee to the mixture.
- Ingredients 20 – 30 sec. until a homogeneous consistency is mixed in a blender. The resulting product resembles a latte.
- Add cinnamon for a cappuccino effect. You don’t need to add sugar.
- Coffee pumped with coconut oil dulls the feeling of hunger.
Unrefined coconut oil with exquisite aroma and soft consistency is a good substitute for butter and sunflower oil. The product is stable, does not lose its properties when heated. By the way, the state of health will also improve.
Coconut oil is a versatile product for all occasions
It is beneficial for a zealous housewife to have a can of coconut oil on hand, because its availability allows you to save money. Coconut seed oil can be used not only for food, but also as a personal care product. It can be used as an alternative to moisturizing lotions, hair mask, make-up remover, body scrub. Here are some examples.
Serum for split ends
Split ends are the most common hair problem. The ingredients are unrefined coconut oil, 50 g and 5 drops of one hundred percent Ylang Ylang essential oil. You only need 2 or 3 drops of serum. Spread the serum evenly in your hands and run your hands through damp hair.
This serum can be mixed with magnesium oil to help prevent dandruff and breakage. Make it a habit to apply it once a week for 20 minutes on dry hair before washing. The oil nourishes the roots and protects the skin from the aggressive surfactants of the shampoo.
Coconut oil for the body against cellulite
Add juniper oil to two to three tablespoons of coconut oil – 10 drops in total. Apply to problem areas with active massage movements, preferably from the bottom up to activate lymph flow – this will remove excess fluid from the body. Wrap with cling film and leave for 20 minutes. The oil should be absorbed into the skin and do not need to be rinsed off.
For maximum effect, we recommend using it in combination with the “Tropical Touch” coconut scrub. On a wet body, apply a little scrub and massage gently in circular, intense movements. An Epsom Salt scrub can help rejuvenate your skin, promote proper blood circulation and target body fat – the cause of orange peel. It contains grape seeds that nourish and moisturize the skin. After the massage, apply coconut seed oil to the dry body and leave for 20-30 minutes. Let the oil soak on its own – it does not leave marks on clothes and does not feel sticky.
Coconut oil for an even tan
The protection of coconut oil is SPF 7, and the product resists UV radiation by 85%. Massage the oil onto the body in a circular motion so that it can be absorbed into the skin well.
On vacation, oil of coconut plant can be replaced by magnesium – it nourishes and moisturizes the skin. Apply it to dry skin of the whole body, so that after sea salt, the skin will absorb the maximum of nutrients and magnesium. For more information about magnesium oil, see the article: ” Expensive remedies that will replace magnesium oil ”
Do not postpone taking care of your health on the back burner! Start your course of healing baths with English, Himalayan, sea salt or try them in the All Wishes ready-made mix. When purchasing, enter the promotional code BLOG to get a 25% discount on your first purchase.
Read More Articles on Evoking Minds