Carrollton is renowned for its savory and hearty Mexican cuisine. The city boasts a wide array of restaurants, cafes, and food trucks that are sure to please even the pickiest of eaters. With this guide, you’ll be able to find the best places in Carrollton to get your Mexican food fix.
For an authentic Mexican dining experience with delicious dishes such as tacos, enchiladas, burritos, fajitas, and more, head over to El Ranchero Restaurant. This popular eatery has been serving up mouthwatering Mexican fare for generations and continues to draw customers from all around town. Visit El Rincon Mexican Kitchen and Tequila Bar in Carrollton, TX here you can find all your favorite Mexican dishes, plus some unique and flavorful takes on traditional recipes.
Things to Know More About Mexican Food
1. History of Mexican Food in Carrollton
Mexican cuisine has a long history in Carrollton, dating back to the late 19th century. Mexican immigrants arrived in town in search of work and brought with them their authentic recipes and traditions. The earliest restaurant serving Mexican food was opened in 1895 by Antonio Lopez, who introduced locals to tamales, tacos, and chili con carne. Throughout the years, more restaurants began to open up offering traditional dishes such as burritos, enchiladas, and nachos. Today, there are dozens of Mexican restaurants around town that specialize in a variety of different dishes from all over Mexico. Many grocery stores feature imported ingredients for those looking to recreate their favorite Mexican meals at home. With its rich culture and flavorful cuisine, Mexican food is an integral part of Carrollton’s history and remains a popular choice for locals. Whether you’re looking for a quick bite or want to savor the tastes of Mexican tradition, Carrollton has something for everyone. So come on down and enjoy some delicious Mexican fare!
2. Popular Mexican Dishes in Carrollton
- Tacos al Pastor – These tacos feature marinated pork grilled on a spit and topped with pineapple, onions, cilantro, and salsa. It’s a unique flavor combination that you won’t find anywhere else!
- Chiles Rellenos – Chiles Rellenos are roasted poblano peppers stuffed with cheese and fried until golden brown. This dish is usually served with a side of rice, beans, and tortillas.
- Enchiladas Suizas – This is a classic dish made with corn tortillas, filled with chicken or beef, and topped with a creamy green sauce. It’s the perfect combination of spicy, creamy, and savory flavors.
- Quesadillas – Quesadillas are a simple but satisfying snack. They’re usually fried flour tortillas stuffed with cheese and other ingredients such as beans, peppers, onions, and salsa.
- Guacamole – Guacamole is an essential part of any Mexican meal! It’s made from avocados mashed together with tomatoes, onions, cilantro, and lime juice. Serve it up as a dip for chips or use it to top off your tacos!
- Churros – Churros are everyone’s favorite dessert. They’re deep-fried sticks of dough, sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar. They’re crispy on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside – a perfect combination!
3. Mexican Restaurants in Carrollton
- El Rincon Mexican Kitchen and Tequila Bar
El Rincon Mexican Kitchen and Tequila Bar is the perfect place to explore a tantalizing range of traditional Mexican fare. Our menu celebrates classic flavors, featuring dishes like tacos al pastor and chile Relleno alongside contemporary items like charred octopus ceviche. An extensive selection of tequilas, wines, beers, and agave spirits are available to accompany your meal. We also offer live music on select evenings for an enhanced dining experience—the perfect backdrop for gathering with friends or family. Whether you’re looking for something light or something hearty, El Rincon will take care of all your Mexican cuisine cravings.
- El Corral Taqueria
This popular spot has been open since 2003 and serves up some of the best Mexican food in town. If you’re feeling adventurous, be sure to try their signature dish – a deep-fried quesadilla! You won’t be disappointed.
- El Aguila Roja
Known for seafood Mexican dishes, This family-run restaurant serves delicious ceviches and other delicious seafood dishes that are sure to tantalize your taste buds. They also have a variety of tequilas available, so don’t forget to sample some while you’re there!
4. Traditional Mexican Ingredients
Traditional Mexican cuisine is known for its unique and complex flavors, making use of many ingredients which are native to the country. Some of these ingredients include chiles (such as jalapeño and Serrano peppers), cilantro, tomatoes, onions, garlic, avocados, limes, corn (in the form of tortillas or masa), beans (such as black beans and pinto beans), various kinds of cheese (like queso fresco and panela cheese) and a variety of spices like cumin and oregano. Regional dishes may also incorporate other locally available ingredients such as seafood from coastal areas or wild game found in mountainous regions. The combination of these unique ingredients makes traditional Mexican dishes one-of-a-kind and difficult to replicate. Many of these ingredients can be found in Mexican groceries or specialty stores, allowing anyone to experiment with making their own authentic Mexican dishes.
5. Mexican Food Preparation Techniques
- Taco Al Pastor: This classic taco dish utilizes pork marinated in an adobo sauce that usually consists of dried chilies and other spices. The pork is cooked slowly over a spit until it’s perfectly caramelized and then served on a warm corn tortilla topped with pineapple slices, onion, cilantro, and lime juice.
- Mole Poblano: This rich, dark sauce is made by cooking together dried chilies, spices, herbs, nuts, seeds, and chocolate until a thick paste-like consistency is achieved. The mole poblano can be enjoyed with a variety of different dishes such as chicken or turkey.
- Tamales: Tamales are steamed bundles of masa (corn dough) filled with savory filling such as cheese, chilies, or pork. The tamales are then wrapped in banana leaves or corn husks and cooked over steam for several hours until the masa is fluffy and the filling is hot.
- Chiles en Nogada: This dish consists of roasted poblano peppers stuffed with a mix of spiced beef, pork, and fruit. The chiles are then topped with a creamy sauce made from walnuts and pomegranate seeds.
- Chalupas: This traditional Mexican snack consists of crispy fried corn tortillas that are filled with refried beans and topped with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, and other toppings.
Traditional Mexican cooking also incorporates various methods such as grilling, smoking, steaming, and frying. This allows the flavors of the ingredients to come alive by using different methods of preparation.
6. Mexican Food Culture in Carrollton
Carrollton is home to some of the best Mexican food in Texas. With a large Hispanic population, you can find authentic Mexican and Tex-Mex cuisine in many restaurants across the city. Traditional favorites like tacos, enchiladas, chiles rellenos, tamales and burritos are all available. Plus, there are plenty of regional specialties such as cabrito (goat), carnitas (pork), and albondigas (meatballs). And don’t forget about all the amazing sauces—from red and green salsa to mole poblano! Carrollton has something for everyone looking to enjoy a true taste of Mexico. Whether you’re looking for a casual lunch or an elegant dinner, there’s sure to be something in Carrollton that will satisfy your Mexican food cravings. So grab a plate, some chips, and salsa, and get ready for an unforgettable experience!
Mexican food is worth trying as the twist on their taste is unique and palatable, so make sure to taste every kind of cuisine when you visit Carrollton.