Oil is essential to keep the engine’s moving parts cooled and lubricated. It reduces wear resistance and parts friction. The function of the engine is to absorb oil, keeping the moving parts smooth and runnable.
The Vehicle engine contains a hundred to a thousand moving parts. These moving parts come in small or large sizes. It protects the metal parts from coming in contact with each other. Engine oil helps in cooling the moving parts and absorbs the heat.
What Job An Engine’s Oil Pressure Sensor Does?
The purpose of an engine’s oil pressure sensor is to track the vehicle oil pressure. It sends the data to the electronic control module to analyse the problem when it occurs. The data also conveys to the instrument panel or combination meter.
Oil pressure sensor is available by genset parts supplier, used to create warning sign when oil pressure falls outside.
There are two parts involved to make an oil pressure sensor:
It attaches to the spring-loaded switch. It closes the switch while releasing the pressure from the spring. The more pressure of diaphragm generates, it will increase the spring-loaded switch.
- Spring-loaded switch:
It connects to the oil galleries placed on the side of an engine block. The pressure of the spring-loaded switch excesses, depending on the pressure develops on the diaphragm.
There is an indicator light on the vehicle’s dashboard. The light displays on the dashboard when the oil pressure gets low. It indicates the low level of oil pressure. Once the oil fill up, it starts the vehicle and turn off the indicator light. The electrical current flows from the oil pressure sensor when the vehicle restarts.
Types of an Oil Pressure Sensor:
It helps in measuring the oil pressure of the engine. Here are the following two types of oil pressure sensors:
- Oil pressure switch
- Oil pressure sender
Oil Pressure Switch: It’s a mechanical device containing a switch within. The function of this device is to protect the vehicle’s engine during low oil pressure. It has 2,3, or 4 pins to close the engine during low oi pressure.
Oil Pressure Sender: It’s a device that sends the oil pressure to the control panel or machine controller. It detects the performance of the oil pressure and shows the detail to the user.
Causes & Symptoms of a Faulty Oil Pressure Sensor:
- The indicator light shows the blink of low oil pressure over again.
- Zero gauges are the sign of break down of oil pressure sensor or show error.
- The warning or indicator light flashes during normal oil pressure is a sign of the poor condition of the sensor.
How to Replace An Oil Pressure Sensor:
In cases of poor condition or broken sensor:
- It’s time to replace the sensor. It locates in the engine block or cylinder heads.
- Furthermore, it’s need tools and equipment including thread sealant, rags & towels, sets of the screwdriver, and wrench set.
- Call the repair manual if the sensor does not found.
- Unplug the electrical connector out of the oil pressure sensor.
- Use wrench sets to release the oil pressure sensor
- Use thread sealant to replace the oil pressure sensor in its place and reinstall the electrical connector using a wrench set.