Cashew nuts have been a staple food source for over the years, and their popularity has indeed spanned all across the globe. Though grown in sub-tropical climates, the unique flavor of the nut makes it a popular go-to snack for millions across the world. And not just for snacking, the nut finds its importance in culinary arts as well since it plays a pivotal role in a wide range of savory and sweet dishes. In this article, we plan to throw some light on cashew nut online purchases and salted cashew prices.
A brief history of the cashew nut:
The first instance of the nuts ever being recorded in a text can be dated back to the 16th century when Portuguese sailors used it to prevent erosion. The trees were planted along the coasts of Goa and soon became a local favorite of the people residing there. The popularity of the nut soon spread all over Southern India, where it began to be cultivated on a large-scale basis. The use and cultivation gradually spread to other parts of the world, where it became the multi-million-dollar industry it is today.
Some interesting facts about cashews:
- The nut is native to Southern America, and that is where the first cashew cultivation was started by some of the local tribes.
- Cashew derives its name from Portuguese sailors, and the name sticks to this day.
- The United States of America is the world’s largest consumer of these nuts.
- Sandy soils work best if planning to grow these trees on a large scale. Apart from that, they thrive in warm, humid climates.
- Cashew nuts are not only eaten in their original form but are also turned into cashew butter and cheese.
What are the health benefits associated with them?
- Cashews are nature’s stock of anti-oxidants, and they also contain a wide variety of minerals in them.
- They also contain polyphenols and carotenoids, two chemical groups that are found in very few food sources.
- If you are looking to increase the amount of healthy fat in your diet, then these nuts will be the perfect source of those for your body.
- Research has also shown that cashew nuts tend to lower the amount of oxidative cell damage that is done to the body and protect it in the long run.
So next time you plan to have a snack think of cashew nuts as a viable option. These days a wide variety of nuts are available online, and cashews are no exception. They can come in various forms- like whole nuts or crushed pieces. They are also being sold raw or roasted. Some of them come salted, while others may have a variety of spices being added to them. On top of this, unique gourmet additions like caramel are also available. Cashew nuts are the whole package as they pack not only the benefits but also delicious taste and a bunch of nutrients.