What To Know When You Plan to Sue Your Landlord?

Many times, the landlords are not what they seem to be in your first few meets. When the landlords need the tenants, they will sweet talk the families into choosing their house for a few months or years. However, when the rental agreement is signed and everything is set is when the landlords show their true face. 

The landlords fail to abide by the rules as set by the states for tenants stating that, 

  • The landlord is required to respond to the calls and complaints of their tenants with the possible results 
  • They should handle the minor repairs if and when arise in their properties 
  • They should return the security deposit to their tenants when the tenants leave their property 
  • They should follow through with all the promises that they have advertised on their rental page 

The tenants can first meet their landlords and explain their issues directly to them. However, if the landlord does not respond positively to the complaints, then the tenants can take up the step of suing their landlord using the small claims court’s help. 

Dispute is an e-scrivery service that was founded by Josh Ketellapper and Mayank Gupta in San Francisco. This service can help the tenants that are planning to sue landlord that is unwilling to abide by the rules and regulations set for the tenants. If you also have such disputes, then you can visit their website for the required help. 

Small Claims Court for the Disputes with the Landlord 

Small claims court is the best choice when it comes to handling disputes with landlords. The issues with the security deposit refund claim are the major focus of this court when it comes to suing the landlord by the tenants. 

While accepting the security deposit refund issues, the court will give importance to some factors such as, 

  • Whether the tenant has harmed the property of the landlord during their stay there 
  • Whether the tenant has left the property in a mess 
  • Whether the tenant still owes the rent to the landlord 

During the proceeding of the case, the concerned judge for the case will hear the arguments from both sides and offer their judgment based on their incurrence of the case. The party that wins the case (be it the tenant or the landlord) can collect the money that they are owed by the other party by garnishing the wages, or by attaching the bank account of the losing party. 

Raising the rent without the consent or the knowledge of the tenant is another case that can be filed in the small claims court. If the issue of raising the rent is not within the knowledge of the tenants, then they can sue the landlords. If the raised rent amount is more than the current rental value in that particular area, then also the tenants can sue their landlords. 

Before raising the rent or carrying out any activities on the property without the knowledge of the tenant allows the tenant to sue their landlord after a one-on-one meeting fails. The best way of expecting the greatest results from filing for the case is by hiring legal aid. 

Leave a Reply

Back To Top